Saturday, January 3, 2009

Phang Nga Bay in Phutket

To unwind after 2 months apart, Courtney and I went to Phuket for a few days break. A highlight was the spectacular Phang Nga bay where limestone islands jut from the sea. After haggling for a 40% discount (not having enough cash gave me motivation) to hire a long boat we were off with the sea in our faces.

I wish I knew more about the geology but from what I gather, over 300 million years ago, the entire Southeast Asian region was a huge coral reef. Then through a combination of plate tectonics, sediments from the rest of Thailand, rising sea levels and tourism...voila!

More at: http://www.seacanoe.net/naturegame.htm



We stopped at the famous James Bond island (which is smaller than anyone expects, certainly not enough to house a solar death ray).

Courtney also found this fabulous resort that had a soft opening for almost 50% off. Great to relax and chill out. The only downside? Courtney got food poisoning.


No comments: